Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Red Velvet Cupcake w/ White Chocolate Toblerone

I've been on a red velvet venture lately...

I'm trying to find a red velvet cake recipe that I can call my "favorite." I've sampled one recipe already for my mom's birthday last month, seen here. And today, I'm sharing the second recipe I also like...

Red Velvet Cupcake
w/ White Chocolate Toblerone
The two cakes taste really good. But I guess the main difference I noticed is that this new recipe I used for this cupcake uses butter. The first red velvet cake recipe I tried uses oil. Between the two, I am not sure which I like better quite yet. 

Also, the first red velvet cake was bright red because I used 2 Tbsp of food coloring. I love the color combination of the bright red cake and the pink frosting, see more here.

Unfortunately, I ran out of red food coloring for the second red velvet cake, so instead of putting 2 Tbsp, I only put 1 Tbsp, hence, the lighter shade of red. But I don't think that affects the taste at all. And I think it still looks just as radiant and looks great with the cream cheese frosting.
I made just one cupcake out of extra batter I had from a cake I'm decorating later this week. Can you believe I only made 1 cupcake? 

I needed it for "test" purposes. I want to taste it first before I serve it with family this weekend. 

The upcoming cake is going to be 2 layers of 6-inch round cakes. Stay posted.

If you love red velvet, I think you will love this recipe. I used the red velvet cake recipe from Joyofbaking.com. I did make changes, I used less sugar and less food coloring. And the frosting recipe I made is adapted from Joyofbaking's and MarthStewart's recipes. Hope you enjoy!

Red Velvet Cupcake
w/ White Chocolate Toblerone
Recipes adapted from here and here
Makes 24 cupcakes

Ingredients
Cake:
2 1/2 c cake flour, sifted
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp cocoa powder, sifted (I used Ghirardelli unsweetened)
1/2 c (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temp
1 c granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 c buttermilk
1 Tbsp red liquid food coloring (For a brighter red, use 2 Tbsp)
1 tsp white distilled vinegar
1 tsp baking soda

Frosting:
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese frosting, room temp (I used Philadelphia Original)
1 stick unsalted butter, room temp
1 c powder sugar, sifted
1 c heavy whipping cream, cold
1 tsp vanilla extract
Directions
  1. Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Prepare and line cupcake pans.
  2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, salt, and cocoa powder, and set aside.
  3. In a glass measuring cup, mix the buttermilk and food color, set aside.
  4. In a stand mixer, beat the butter until soft and fluffy, about 1 minute.
  5. Add sugar to butter, mix until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes.
  6. Add eggs, one at time, to butter mixture. And add vanilla. Incorporate well.
  7. In alternating portions, add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture, until well incorporated. Do not over mix. 
  8. In a small cup, mix vinegar and baking soda and allow to fizz. Then quickly fold it into the batter.
  9. Divide batter evenly between cupcake pans. 
  10. Bake 350 degrees F for about 15 minutes. Check done-ness with toothpick inserted in the center of cupcake. Tip: Wet toothpick means the cake is still raw, continue to bake for another 1-2 minutes. Clean toothpick means the cake is going to be dry. Moist crumbs means the cake is perfect!
  11. Remove from oven, remove from pan, and allow cupcakes to cool directly onto wire racks. 
  12. Let cool before frosting and decorating.
To make the frosting:
In a stand mixer, with the whisk attachment, whip the cream cheese and butter together until smooth. In alternating portions, add the powder sugar and heavy whipping cream until light and fluffy. About 5 minutes. When almost done, add the vanilla. 
Tip: The frosting should be able to hold itself up, with soft-stiff peeks, this means your frosting has the right consistency.

This has to be my favorite cream cheese frosting recipe! It's not that sweet, and you can definitely taste all the richness of the cream cheese. It's so soft and fluffy. It spreads pretty well too, and maintains it's shape in room temperature without getting too soft too quickly. So far so good. I can't wait to use if for the cake!

To frost the cupcake, I used about 2 Tbsp of cream cheese frosting. And with a small offset spatula I spread the frosting on top of the cupcake and scraped excess off the sides. 
To garnish the cupcake, I used white chocolate Toblerone. With a clean vegetable peeler, peel the white chocolate to create small flakes and place in a small plate. Then dip the side of the frosted cupcake in the chocolate flakes.
I am loving this technique for frosting and decorating because it's so easy and saves me time on having to prepare and clean a piping bag. 

I can't wait to start working on the cake. For now, all I can say, it the cupcake turned out really good. super moist and rich. And the frosting was so light and fluffy. 
Time to taste it!
delish!

Have fun baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.