Saturday, November 9, 2013

Beehive Baby Shower Cake

Beehive Baby Shower Cake!
a simple tutorial on how I made this cake...
What's all the buzz about? ... A friend of mine is preggers and she is expecting a baby girl!!! The theme of her baby shower was obviously bees!

Step 1: Make 3 6x2-inch round cakes.
Tip: I made a few batches of cake the week prior to the event and stored them in the freezer so I don't scramble when came time to actually assemble and decorate the cake.
Step 2: Take 1 of the 6x2-inch round cakes and carve it into a dome shape.
This part will be the top layer of the cake so make it as smooth and even as possible. 
Step 3: Stack your 3 layers of cake using a layer of your favorite frosting in the middle of each layer. I used homemade chocolate ganache frosting.
Step 4: Crumb coat the whole cake with yellow frosting. You can find the recipe I used here.
Start adding frosting on the top, and work your way down to the bottom until you have the whole cake covered with a generous layer of frosting.
Step 5: Create texture to the cake. I used a small offset spatula to create the lines around the cake.
Step 6: Refrigerate until the frosting has set. At least 30 min to an hour.
Step 7: Decorate!!!!!! I used the same chocolate ganache frosting I used for the filling to pipe the door using a small round piping tip, and the same yellow frosting to pipe the borders using a small open-star piping tip.
I made some chocolate ganache and poured it all over the top of the cake and let it drip to the sides. I also added 3 bees to symbolize the little bee family. Finally, I just wrote out a couple of greetings on the front and back border of the cake.
"it's a babee girl!"
"Congrats mom & dad"
This cake was ooobers of fun to make. I would do it all over again if I had the chance for other occasions, like birthdays or summer parties! I was happy with how it turned out and the mom-to-be liked it too =)
Here's a few more photos right before I showed her the final cake...
And here's a photo from the baby shower...
Can't wait to meet the baby!!!!!

P.S. Stay posted on those bumble bee cake pops! Tutorial coming soon!!!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.