Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Vanilla Bourbon Cupcakes w/ Pink Vanilla Bourbon Frosting

Vanilla Bourbon Cupcakes 
w/ Vanilla Bourbon Frosting 
(Recipe adapted from here
Cupcake Ingredients
Makes 12 cupcakes 
  • 1/2 cup lowfat milk
  • 1 teaspoon 100% Pure Bourbon Vanilla Extract 
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter (softened, at room temperature)
  • 1 large egg 
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
NOTE: There were a few ingredients from the original recipe that I substituted, such as the milk, vanilla extract, and the salt. But I kept the measurements the same. I recently discovered this at my local Fresh & Easy market which I used for both cupcake and frosting recipes, and they turned out great!

Instructions
  • Preheat the oven to 350 F and line cupcake pans with liners.
  • In a small bowl, mix 1/4 cup of the milk, vanilla extract, egg, and egg whites until well incorporated.
  • In a stand mixer, mix the sifted flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt on low speed for 10 seconds.
  • Mix in the softened butter and remaining 1/4 cup milk on low speed until moistened. Gradually increase speed to medium, until everything well incorporated. 
  • Add the egg mixture in 3 parts, beating on medium after each addition. 
TIP: Don't over mix, once batter is nice and smooth, stop mixing.
  • Fill cupcake liners 2/3 way full. Bake for 15-18 minutes. 
  • Check done-ness with a toothpick, should come out clean.
  • Let cool before frosting.
Frosting Ingredients
  • 2/3 stick unsalted butter (softened, at room temperature)
  • 1 tsp 100% pure bourbon vanilla extract
  • 4 cups powdered sugars (sifted after measured)
  • 4 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
NOTE: I used Wilton's food coloring in Coral (Check out the Wilton color chart here).

Instructions
  • In a stand mixer, mix softened butter and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
  • Mix in 1 cup powdered sugar.
  • Add 1 Tbsp heavy whipping cream.
  • Repeat process until all ingredients are well incorporated. 
TIP: Allow plenty of mixing time. The more time you allow, the fluffier and stiffer you frosting will be.

Once you have your frosting the way you want, place it in a piping bag with you choice of piping tip. This time I used Wilton's #2D piping tip
I have been looking for this tip for awhile now and I finally found it at Michael's. It was the last one they had in stock, so it was definitely meant to be. lol...
I was super happy about how these cupcakes turned out, especially the frosting part. 
For the frosting technique, I went with the simple rose design. I still need practice, but I have improved from my last cupcake frosting job seen here. And it is sooo much FUN!
I used Martha Stewart's cupcake liners for these cupcakes. I just love how the pink floral ones look along with the rose frosting. It's the simple details...lol...

Enjoy & I hope you try this out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.